[mou] Park Point update

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 18:13:52 EDT 2007

After running into Mike Hendrickson at Park Point around 1:00 today, I
continued birding until 4:00 between Southworth Marsh and the old bath
house at the Recreation Area. Combining his species with the additional
ones I saw, there was a composite total of 24 warbler species in all.
Of the 26 species which migrate annually through Duluth, only
Black-throated Blue and Palm were not seen. (This is the same total as
on Sunday the 26th, although then the species missed were
Black-throated Blue and Orange-crowned.)

Adding to Mike's list of 19 species, I saw Golden-winged,
Black-throated Green, Ovenbird, Connecticut (adult male in the
Southworth Marsh woods), and Mourning. (I did not see Orange-crowned,
Pine, or Canada.) As Mike noted, Tennessee Warblers were clearly
predominant, but I was most impressed by the number of Cape Mays,
normally considered an uncommon migrant. I conservatively counted a
minimum of 32 individuals, and there were certainly many more
uncounted.

Peder Svingen just called and is on his way back to Park Point, so
there well may be another update this evening.

Kim Eckert