[mou] Park Point / Duluth MN

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 28 16:07:24 EDT 2007

Park Point had a slight fog and a little mist which made for a lot of migrant warblers grounded feeding on all the trees and bushes along the point.  I saw 19 species of warblers and if I include the Ovenbird that was in my garage I saw 20 species for the day.

  Here is a summary of the warblers seen between the bus turn around at 41st St to the playground area.

  Tennessee Warblers:  counted 72 individuals
  Orange-crowned Warbler:  1
  Nashville Warbler: 15
  Northern Parula: 10
  Yellow Warbler: 2
  Chestnut-sided Warbler: 1
  Magnolia Warbler: 12
  Cape May Warbler: 9
  Yellow-rumped Warbler: 6
  Blackburnian Warbler: 5
  Pine Warbler: 1
  Bay-breasted Warbler: 4
  Blackpoll Warbler: 13
  Black and White Warbler: 3
  American Redstart: 10
  Northern Waterthrush: 1
  Common Yellowthroat: 5
  Wilson Warbler: 1
  Canada Warbler: 1

  Other Birds:
  Greater Yellowlegs: 1
  Buff Breasted Sandpiper: 7-8 birds on the ball field
  Baird's Sandpiper: 1
  Red-eyed Vireo: 13
  Least Flycatcher: 4
  Eastern Kingbird: 3

    I have never seen a fall migration with so many warblers each day I go out birding.

Mike Hendrickson
  Duluth, Minnesota
  Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
  Local Bird Guide