[mou] Peregrine falcon at Coon Rapids Dam, Anoka County

Refsnider refsn001 at tc.umn.edu
Wed Aug 8 15:55:20 EDT 2007

 From about 10 to 10:30 am this morning, while kayaking below the Coon
Rapids Dam on the Mississippi River, I observed an adult peregrine
falcon immediately downsteam from the Dam.  It first made several low
flights over the cobble bars scattering the gulls, waterfowl, and
herons/egrets, then alighted in a cottonwood tree on the west shore of
Dunn Island to preen.  With 8X binocs my views were adequate to confirm
the wide black moustache and the horizontal belly striping.  The upper
breast appeared clear white.  I shot some rather poor photos.  I did not
see any leg bands, but using binocs in a kayak, even when grounded,
results in far-from-ideal viewing conditions, so I easily might have
missed them.

Other raptors seen during my 3-hours on the River:  immature bald eagle,
Cooper's hawk chasing a red-tailed hawk, and an osprey with dislocated
primaries on the left wing (probably the male that has nested at the dam
for several years).

---Ron Refsnider