[mou] Isanti (Tanager?) Molt ID Struggle

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Wed Aug 8 17:42:55 EDT 2007

Over lunch hour drove the general area of Crooked Lake WMA in Isanti
County - certainly not an "A" birding spot - but close to the office for a
short get away.

About two blocks east of Potassium Road and two blocks north of Isanti CR 5,
noticed a bird with a yellowish cast, first on a power line, then an oak
tree.  I was struck by the length of the bird (say, 7-8 inches) combined
with a lanky appearance, by the fact that it's head and shoulders were a
faded yellow while the abdomen and sides were a faded grey/brown, by the
somewhat darker wings, and by a bill that was substantially larger than
expected (not quite grosbeak, but I did consider that option for a bit).  I
would describe the yellow and gray combination as being similar to a faded
female goldfinch in the late fall (although the bird was considerable longer
than same).

I'm somewhat comfortable calling it a female tanager, but am wondering about
the molt on a female Scarlet.  Should it not be more consistently yellow all
over, particularly at this time of year?  And the bill was, frankly, closer
to a Summer - but I've only observed males in the past.  We've had Summers
in Sherburne Refuge during 2005-2006, which is not that terribly far
away....

Or, for those of you who can visualize the second paragraph well, should I
be looking at non-tanager options (lanky, 7-8 inches, light yellow head and
shoulders, grayer/browner body, darker wings)?

Brain cramped in Princeton,

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties