[mou] Shorebirds in Blue Earth County

Chad Heins odunamis at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 11 10:38:58 CDT 2008

Hey birders,

I went out looking for shorebirds in Blue Earth County on Sunday.  Habitat is typically sparse but I was able to find some interesting areas.

Area 1: A small wetland on CR168.  Take CR10 east from Beauford.  Turn south on CR16 and east on CR168.  Shorebirds present: Wilson's Snipe, Solitary Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Least Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper.

Area 2: Roberts WPA west of Mapleton.  Take Highway 30 west from Mapleton.  Turn north on CR18.  This WPA has a large pond that you can hike to which held quite a few shorebirds (I did not hike to it), but there is also a smaller wetland on the west side.  Shorebirds present: Solitary Sandpiper, Least Sandpiper, Semipalmated Sandpiper, Killdeer, Red-necked Phalarope (2), Pectoral Sandpiper.  Maple River WMA north of here also has good shorebird habitat, but you will need a scope.

There were no Buff-breasted Sandpipers at the sod farms east of Mapleton but there were about a dozen Killdeer.

Happy Birding!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN