[mou] [mnbird] Trapped Goldfinch

Sharon Stiteler birdchick at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 19:10:05 EDT 2007

Hi Blaine,

Sorry about your goldfinch.  I'm not sure where you purchased your
pole, but when I worked at a Wild Bird Store, we would hear about
this happening on shepherd hook poles.  Every single time a customer
reported it, I asked where they purchased the pole.  Every time they
answered it was a pole from a warehouse store or hardware store and
were half the price of a the shepherds hook poles that bird stores
carry.  It may seem like no big deal and go cheap when purchasing a
pole, but I can say that in the eight years I worked at the bird
store, no customer ever reported it with the brand we carried.  The
way the poles were designed, there was no possible way for a bird to
get its foot caught.

When your purchasing a shepherds hook pole, look closely at the
design and make sure that there is no gap between the hook and the
pole.  One of the best poles for design is made by Erva Tool and Die
and most bird stores carry that brand.  It's more expensive than what
you'll find at a hardware store or Walmart, but you won't find birds
getting stuck to it.

Sharon Stiteler
www.birdchick.com
www.disapprovingrabbits.com