[mou] Sandhill cranes in Normanna Township, St. Louis Cty

Howard Weinberg hjw_forest at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 27 10:49:40 EDT 2007

Hello Molly and List,
  On Sunday morning sometime beteen 0730 and 0930 i heard sandhill crane(s) calling.  It sounds like i wasn't that far from your location -- on a logging road off of Fox Farm Rd and not all that far from Pequaywan (maybe a few miles? not sure).  Although they were close at one point, I never saw the cranes.  It/they were in flight ... it sounded like one or two perhaps.. a small number at least.
  Howard
  Two Harbors

Molly Thompson <thompm65 at hotmail.com> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }
    .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {  FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }      Hello,
This morning my husband and I saw 3 sandhill cranes in Normanna township, Pequaywan Lake Road, north of Duluth.  Earlier this summer I reported seeing 1 sandhill about a mile from today's location.  At that time Jan Green mentioned that a year ago George Kirk reported adults with flightless young just north of where I saw them today and in July.

I could not tell if any of today's sandhills were juveniles. One looked a little paler, but the lighting was not good.  All three were in flight and called.

Molly Thompson
Duluth, MN