[mou] Chukar

Laura Erickson chickadee.erickson at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 09:59:20 EDT 2007

I've seen a Chukar three or four times along I-35 somewhere around Hinckley
several years ago.  I never bothered to report these because the birds were
most definitely escapes from game farms.  I don't know if anyone bothered to
report the rash of Bobwhite reports in and around Duluth (from a mass
breakout from a retriever training club) a couple of years ago, either,
though I wish I had.  It's important to keep track of introductions or birds
escaped from captivity because once in a great while these introductions
"take"--knowing the origin of a newly established population is important.
And even when an accidental introduction doesn't take, it's instructive to
keep track of these birds to ultimately understand why some introductions
are more "successful" than others.  But that's a lot of data to maintain for
something that isn't part of our natural avifauna, so I can understand why
it isn't normally done.

--
Laura Erickson
For the love, understanding, and protection of birds

There is symbolic as well as actual beauty in the migration of birds.  There
is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature--the
assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after the winter.

--Rachel Carson