[mou] Chukar

Holly Peirson hpbirdscouter at msn.com
Mon Aug 27 08:59:28 EDT 2007

While I've never heard of a Chukar in C.A., the possibility always exists,
especially as people move closer to it and raise exotics in their yards and
game farms. The habitat seems wrong, since, like you, the places in the west
where I've seen them have been dry hillsides with small rocks and low
vegetation. I have, however, seen one at Lake Elmo Park Reserve (which has a
game farm nearby), and they had been seen over the years around south
central MN, where they were once released as a game bird similar to Gray
Partridge. I think, but cannot verify in books here, that was in the 30's to
perhaps the 60's, and that they couldn't take the winters and eventually the
population dissappeared. I don't remember where I read that, and I never saw
one of those birds. It was a jolt to the system, when a couple of years ago
while on a bird walk at Lake Elmo, my friend Val and I came over a rise and
saw two birds on the trail in front of us. One was a Bobwhite and the other
a Chukar! We watched and followed them until they left the grassy trail for
the grassy hillside.

That's what I know about that!

Holly Peirson

Columbus, Anoka Co.