[mou] Warblers-LittleFalls+

Milton Blomberg MJBFLWRMT at MSN.COM
Sun Aug 26 19:49:26 EDT 2007

Friday, birded Belle Prairie County Park (located along Hwy 371 N of Little Falls, S of Camp Ripley, East bank of the Miss.) and were able to identify 17 species of warblers, including a Brewster's hybrid.  Here's the list: Redstarts, Tennessees, Nashvilles-lots; Ovenbird-1, Chestnut-sided-3, Yellow-Rumped-2, C.Yellowthroat-4, Blackburnian-4, Magnolia-1, Canada-3, Wilson's-1, Golden-Winged-2, BGGnatcatcher-2, Yellow-2, B&W-1, Pine-1.  Plus, hundreds of RB Grosbeaks, lots of RE Vireos and Least Flycatchers;
Noteworthy: Golden Eagle soaring overhead, Red-shouldered Hawk, juv. Osprey here along 371 pole platform still hasn't the courage to fly, although the parents seem to be bugging it to do so, Red-Headed Woodpecker-2, ,1-Olive-sided Flycatcher, many RB Nuthatches.
Later (6pm hour), across the river at the Schoessling Unit, 40-50 Nashvilles, Canada-2, Blackburnian, Tennesse, Chestnut-sided,...
Furthermore, Saturday (1:30-2:30pm), I stopped at the Sauk River floodplain on the W side of Whitney Park in St. Cloud.  This is quite a good spot for now in St. Cloud as I observed 10 warbler species in ~3 little "waves in the bit of time I had available: Of note: 2-Orange-Crowned Warblers, 1-Mourning Warbler.  Others: Redstarts-4, C.Yellowthroat-2, Canada-2, Blackburnian-1, B&W-1, Chestnut-sided (juveniles)-2, dozens fo Nashvilles & Tennessees, lots of Least Flycatchers and RE Vireos, and 1 Blue-Headed Vireo.
One more note:  Join us on Sept. 16 (Sun) for Morrison County Little Falls outing.  Several from this neighborhood are joining in.  We are arranging for a refreshment picnic sponsored by Crane Meadows when a short presentation will be given regarding the refuge (hotspots w/in the refuge as well as future development for observation locations will be part of the topics).  Email to me your interest.  sincerely, Milt Blomberg