[mou] Buff Breasted Sandpipers in Duluth....

SCmzd at aol.com SCmzd at aol.com
Sat Aug 25 19:12:41 EDT 2007

8/25/07, 4-5:30PM,  Got off work today and went down to Park  Point.  While
driving past the soccer/ball field I noticed a small group of  the wind birds
fly out from the field over the lake then come back to the field  and land.  I
approached the birds and counted 10 buff breasted  sandpipers.  Fortunately
the birds hung around the area for an hour and a  half.  Unfortunately there
were WAY too many humans about for the birds to  get comfortable and tolerate any
kind of approach.  I know this is a  recreational area but come on people,
leave the crotch rockets, dogs, and  frisbees at home.  To make matters even
more stressful for the birds, they  were buzzed by a Merlin, so that even when
gulls flew over the birds would take  off.  None the less, it was a good time
watching these birds fly, they can  cut wind like a knife through hot butter:)
Shawn  Zierman.