[mou] State Fair

Ann and Manley Olson a_molson at unidial.com
Sat Aug 25 12:05:42 EDT 2007

Several people who have worked at the Fair have reported on their
experience and urged folks to volunteer. Let me echo their comments.  I
have worked booths for MOU,St Paul Audubon,Minnesota Audubon and other
non-bird groups since 1968. I have always found it to be a great
experience. I have heard folks say that they are not expert enough to
staff the booth. It has been my experience that most folks who stop by
are casual birders and more often then not want to tell you about "their
birds", either at a feeder or at their lake place. You will talk a lot
about cardinals, eagles, hummingbirds and loons. They appreciate getting
our materials especially the kids.
While you might get a few tough questions most tend to be identification
issues. By asking for  information about location,habitat etc.or by
showing them possibilities in a guide, one can satisfactorily answer
most. There are always a few that will stump all of us. We got two on
Monday . We finally suggested to one person that she take a picture of
her mystery bird and send it to Bob Holtz who was working with me and he
would offer an opinion.The other was asking us to settle a debate as to
what a large bird was that was seen perched as they drove past it but
did not get a good look and could not agree if it was a hawk or an owl.
If you can spend a shift I am sure you will enjoy it and you may end up
talking to someone,especially youngsters, who need to be encouraged to
continue to develop their interest in birds.People do come looking for
us and it would be too bad if the booth was not open when they came.
Manley Olson