[mou] Duluth Birds Update

Michael Hendrickson mlhendrickson at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 24 17:32:00 EDT 2007

The Red-throated Loon spotted by Peder Svingen yesterday was still at Lafayette Square this afternoon. Also at Lafayette Square (31st St. at Park Point) were 4 Baird's Sandpipers.

  At the ball field at Park Point the two Whimbrels (spotted by Peder) were still foraging for insects on the ball field this afternoon.

  At 40th Ave West mudflats were a good variety of shorebirds.
  -Least Sandpipers
  -Semipalmated Sandpipers
  -Stilt Sandpiper
  -Lesser Yellowlegs

  Other:
  -Common Terns
  -Bonaparte's Gulls
  -Pied billed Grebes

  * I took pictures of a peep which could be a candidate for a Western Sandpiper.  I added this last because I just got home and haven't looked at the photos closely but it sure looked good in the field. Hopefully other locla birders may find it today or tomorrow.

Mike Hendrickson
  Duluth, Minnesota
  Website: http://webpages.charter.net/mmhendrickson/
  Local Bird Guide