[mou] Nighthawks in Mankato

Chad Heins odunamis at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 23 14:19:43 EDT 2007

Hey birders,

On my way home from work last night I had to stop and gawk at a flock of >100 Common Nighthawks swirling around over a soccer field.  I wouldn't have noticed them if there wasn't a flock of Ring-billed Gulls (with a few Franklin's Gulls) behaving in a similar way.  They appeared to be flycatching.

Also of note...I have had 2 Red-breasted Nuthatch sightings in Mankato in the last week.

The Cobb River is overflowing its banks and I was able to find a couple of Lesser Yellowlegs and a Solitary feeding in a pasture with some Great Egrets.  I'm not used to having flooded shorebird habitat in August!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN