[mou] sorry....but who?

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 15 23:30:47 EDT 2007

Hi all,

I originally responded off list to a solicitation from a member of the MOU to join the MOU.  So, I asked what the benefits of membership were.

There was a response on list by Steve Weston, an excellent one, outlining the befefits that he gets from MOU membership.  To be honest, I wouldn't get those benefits, and I dared to say so.  For that, I got the responses that you see below.

The fact is, the MOU web site was set up so the public could use it.  I use it occassionally.  I have submitted reports and I have looked up "range maps".  I have even used it to help others.

That being said, I am not doing anything wrong in doing this.  I'm sure there are other non-MOU members using the MOU web site.  If this was not allowed, wouldn't the MOU site be password protected?  I'm sorry if I'm using something that is free and you don't like it.

I fail to see why a) I should get accused of stealing for this and b) get put in the same bucket as a couple of others for doing this and for being honest.

I don't think the members of MOU are boobs, nor do I think that I am better than them.  The fact is, I'm struggling with how I am going to pay $160 for my own society's dues, let alone worrying about how to pay for the MOU dues.  I'm sorry if people think I said that.

I'm sorry if you think a person with a Ph.D. is rich.  We are not.  I work hard and I make less than 4K a month (I work probably 6 8 or 9 hour days a week, maybe more).  I make less than some cashiers make per hour.

If I was fortunate, and had had some breaks, I might be working in big pharma and be making 80K or so a year, but I didn't.  Part of it is my fault and part of it is our system.  It's my fault because I didn't quit and I finished my degree; I was persistent.  It's the system's fault because companies are allowed to make up rules when hiring people.  It's the government's fault because they refuse to change the system.  It's our fault because a) we don't care and b) we're too concerned about educating our kids.

If I was working in big pharma, then I probably would be able to afford to join the MOU.  I'm sorry I'm not working in big pharma, I'm sorry that I can't afford to join the MOU, I'm sorry some of you think a person with my training makes a lot, and I am sorry that we had a brewhaha just because I gave my opinion.

I'm also sorry that some of you have to bring up what has happened between myself and others in the past in other places.  Those people weren't there and don't know the whole story, so they'd be better off not saying anything about it.

I'm sorry that we live in a world where I have to apologize on a bird list about giving my opinion about bird-related issues.

Peace to all,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN