[mou] [mnbird] Suspicious Birds

Richard Wood rwoodphd at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 15:08:21 EDT 2007

Hi all,

Pastor Al seems, IMO, to be bent on taking this list's discussions into areas that get people yelled at and called names by other users of the list.  I, for one, don't think that is necessarily a good thing to have happen.

I don't think he does it on purpose, and I enjoy it when he does, but frankly, most people don't like those of us that question things (we come off as being critical?), and I think all it does it cause a lot of trouble and lead to (potential) hurt feelings.

Take the recent discussion on record keeping, for example.  I wouldn't have voluntarily written about my "angst" toward the record keepers, but when Al posted, I replied, and it led to a big brehawa.  I was called by one person, whom shall remain nameless, a "troublemaker", when I don't think I am.  A member of the MOU called me "critical", which again, I don't think I am.  I do question things, because I am a scientist.

My point is that we need to think seriously about when we post forays into "controversial" areas.  Does one want to post a note that is going to make others dislike each other, probably not. But we should all ask ourselves that each time we post a "question" to others on a list such as this.  Do you really want to create a situation (even unknowingly) where others will almost literally be at each other's throats?

Good birding,
Richard

Richard L. Wood, Ph. D.
Hastings, MN