[mou] Golden-winged, Blue-winged and their kin

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Thu Aug 2 10:23:50 EDT 2007

As some of you are aware, Sherburne Refuge is within the band of Blue-winged
and Golden-winged mutual nesting areas.

When I started walking Blue Hill Trail, Golden-winged were most evident,
with occasional Blue-winged.  Last year the numbers were more balanced (one
migration day actually had nine of each), and an occasional Brewster's was
seen or heard.

This year Brewster's and a Lawrence's have both been seen more often, today
I had a Brewster's back-cross.  In addition, Blue-winged are occasionally
being seen and heard in southern Mille Lacs County (just a few miles north
of the refuge).

If matters progress, Golden-winged will become uncommon here.  Sigh.

Ruminating & regretting in Princeton,

Al Schirmacher
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties