[mou] Red-headed Woodpecker, Dickcissel observations

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Wed Aug 1 09:26:56 CDT 2007

Have had a surprising number of Red-headed Woodpeckers in the last month or
so - six observations at six different locations within a 15 mile radius of
Princeton (Mille Lacs CR 12, 5, 7; Kunkel WMA; Sherburne CR 9 & 42; Isanti
40 area).  Tough to remember how uncommon they actually are - although
always a joy.

In addition, at least four singing Dickcissels "summered" with us on or near
our five acres (about ten acres of grassland left in our small rural
development).  Nesting behavior was exhibited by one pair, although my guess
is that the nest failed, perhaps due to RW Blackbird harassment.

Interesting juxtaposition - 90 degrees, and the "fall" birding season is
upon us.

Awaiting migrants,

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN