[mou] Short Eared Owl Dakota County

Jbaines317 at aol.com Jbaines317 at aol.com
Sun Apr 15 21:06:59 EDT 2007

It seems a little late in the owl season to see an Short Eared Owl. It  was
flying over 160th St from the region of Barton Sand & Gravel  heading north. It
was west of their front gate where the grass on the hills is a  little
longer.(Rosemount I believe) Sorry I don't have any better land  marks. I saw
tonight at 7:30pm as I was heading home. As some  books say-it looked like a giant
moth. At 7:30 the light was still very  good so I am sure of the bird ID.

Also this morning while on a birding social at Carlos Avery we saw &  heard
39 species. The two highlights were the winnowing snipe flying  overhead and
the flock of 60+ pelicans catching thermals.

And lastly-there is now a pair of Bald Eagles using the  old Red-tailed Hawk
nest along the Vermillion River on the south side  of CR 46 between General
Sieben and Pine St.

Jen  Vieth