[rba] [mou] Jaeger, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, and more

Erik Bruhnk rba at moumn.org
Sun Sep 28 19:47:27 CDT 2008

Hello everyone! My name is Erik Bruhnke. I'm a recent graduate of Northland
College in Ashland, WI, and just signed up on MOU-NET for the first time. I
birded and walked the length of Park Point today from 11:00 to about 4:00,
where I had:

1 jaeger (unknown flyby)
American Pipits - 3
Lapland Longspur - 2
Horned Lark - 2
BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER -1 (a lifer for me!)
Ruddy Turnstone
Sanderlings
Spotted Sandpiper
Ring-billed Gulls
Herring Gulls
Double-crested Cormorant
Green-winged Teal

The jaeger was definitely a dark morph. The dark-chocolate belly and head
were prominent. It had very complete-ranged wingbeats for not chasing gulls
(it's wings had a good range of flapping for 'relaxed crusing speed'). It
was only seen flying-by, towards Canal Park.

I've been very spoiled with jaeger sightings during the past week... I'm
working at Hawk Ridge this fall :) and I visit Wisconsin Point as often as I
can (Minnesota Point too) before starting work each day.
On 9/24, I birded Wisconsin Point from 6:30am to 9:00am, and had at least 3
individual jaegers, with a total of 9 jaeger attacks on gulls!
On 9/25, I birded Wisconsin Point from 6:45am to 9:15am, and had at least 2
individual jaegers, with a total of 5 jaeger attacks on gulls!
On 9/26, I birded Wisconsin Point from 7:00am to 9:00am, and had at least 2
individual jaegers, with a total of 8 jaeger attacks on gulls!

I'll get some photos online on my pbase website, and share the links of my
best recent photos right after they're online. Oh and tomorrow's northwest
winds could produce a good day of raptors tomorrow at Hawk Ridge...

Good birding!

Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

www.pbase.com/birdfedr