[rba] [mou] Grand Marais Rock Wren

shawn conrad rba at moumn.org
Thu Sep 25 19:15:58 CDT 2008

This evening in Grand Marais, I found a Rock Wren at the municipal campground.  I watched it for several minutes on a large dirt pile near the yellow maintenance garages, then a vehicle went by and sent it over by the large hole in the ground surrounded by snow fence where I was unable to relocate it.

Other fun in Grand Marais:

The campground was quite birdy with a flock of 13 Horned Larks and 2 Lapland Longspurs near where I saw the Rock Wren.  Numerous sparrows around including a few Clay-colored and White-crowned near the maintenance garages and a Fox Sparrow on Artist's Point.  I saw a Magnolia Warbler and Palm Warblers near the garages as well.

Lots of Golden-crowned Kinglets and Brown Creepers on Artist's Point as well as a Blackpoll Warbler and a probable Northern Goshawk that flew straight away so I couldn't get a good look.  Horned Grebes were in the harbor and I saw Red-necked Grebes the other day, but no loons or big lake ducks anywhere.

I also got a brief glimpse of what appeared to be a small flock of Snow Geese flying over the Holiday, but it was tough to make an ID while craning my neck to look out the back window of the vehicle.

I stopped at the Spruce Creek ponds last night and nothing was happening there.  Shawn Conradhttp://users.2z.net/itasca_chippewa_birding/