[rba] Northwest Minnesota Birding Report- Thursday, September 18, 2008

Jeanie Joppru ajjoppru at wiktel.com
Thu Sep 18 20:55:26 CDT 2008

Black-and-white Warbler
Mourning Warbler
Harris's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
Pine Siskin
-Transcript

Hotline: Minnesota, Detroit Lakes
Date: September 18, 2008
Sponsor: Lakes Area Birding Club, Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce
Reports: 1-800-542-3992 (weekdays during business hours)
Compiler: Jeanie Joppru (ajjoppru at wiktel.com)

This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, September
18, 2008 sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce.
You may also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or
1-800-433-1888.

Birds are coming through quickly these days, and trees are beginning to
really look like fall. Another good sign is that we are all noticing how
early it gets dark. Outdoor buffs are regaining our evenings - no longer
can we work outside until bedtime! Gardens are getting that tired look
and we are starting to gather in those tender plants, but frost has only
touched a few scattered spots in the northwest to date.

On September 14, Larry Wilebksi observed many NORTHERN FLICKERS, and a
WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW near Lancaster in Kittson County.

Doug Johnson found a SABINE'S GULL on Lake Bemidji on September 12. The
bird was seen again on September 14 but has now apparently gone from the
area. He located a LITTLE GULL on September 14, and this bird was
relocated on the next day from the tip of Diamond Point Park near 20th
Ave N and Birchmont Drive. Six species of gull were seen on Lake Bemidji
within the last week , including FRANKLIN'S GULL. Also seen were
COOPER'S HAWK, CASPIAN TERN, FORSTER'S TERN, and HARRIS'S SPARROW.

Several small warbler waves came through our yard last weekend. Species
seen included TENNESSEEE WARBLER, ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLER, PALM WARBLER, BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER,
MOURNING WARBLER, and COMMON YELLOWTHROAT.A RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER, a
PHILADELPHIA VIREO, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, CEDAR WAXWINGS, and 25 PINE
SISKINS were also seen this week near Thief River Falls, Pennington
County.

Shelley Steva saw about 200 CEDAR WAXWINGS and many YELLOW-RUMPED
WARBLERS near Oklee School in Red Lake County on September 15.

In Polk County on September 14, Shelley Steva and I saw BUFFLEHEAD and
HOODED MERGANSERS near Oak Lake, HORNED GREBES on the East Grand Forks
wastewater treatment ponds, PIED-BILLED GREBES in several places, a few
EASTERN BLUEBIRDS as well as the expected AMERICAN WHITE PELICANS,
DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANTS, geese and ducks.

>From Becker County, Scott Kahan reported GREAT EGRET, AMERICAN WHITE
PELICANS, and increasing numbers of ducks at Hamden Slough NWR this
week. Numbers of migrating COMMON NIGHTHAWKS were seen this week in
Becker, Clay, and Otter Tail Counties. Colleen Nelson saw 10
BLACK-BILLED MAGPIES at a farm north of Lake Park on CR 7 near 270th St.

Dan and Sandy Thimgan saw 50 migrating COMMON NIGHTHAWKS at Inspiration
Peak in Otter Tail County on September 13.

In Douglas County on September 13, Dan and Sandy estimated at least
20,000 AMERICAN COOTS on Lake Christina in the northwest part of the
county.

Thanks to Colleen Nelson, Doug Johnson, Larry Wilebski, Scott Kahan,
Shelley Steva, and Dan and Sandy Thimgan for their reports.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjoppru at wiktel.com OR call the Detroit Lakes
Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992. Detroit Lakes area birders
please call 847-9202. Please include the county where the sighting took
place. The next scheduled update of this report is Thursday, September
25, 2008.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN