[rba] [mou] Sabine's Gull Lake Bemidji, Beltrami County

Johnson, Douglas rba at moumn.org
Sat Sep 13 10:55:54 CDT 2008

On Saturday morning September 13, 2008 about 9:45 a.m. I observed a
Sabine's Gull out over the north basin of Lake Bemidji from Cameron Park
just north of Bemidji State University which park is located at 25th
Ave. No. off Birchmont Dr. NE.  The bird had the classic three colored
wing pattern with inky black primaries, white on the center trailing
edge, and gray on the inner wing in seemingly roughly equal proportions.
The bird was soaring over the central part of the lake and not
associating with the many Bonaparte's and Ring-billed Gulls.  Viewing
conditions are excellent with little wind and gray skies making the
light conditions for excellent observation.  The Sabine's Gull was doing
far more active and graceful than the other gulls.   I did not get much
of a direct size comparison and the distance made it hard to judge the
size relative to the many other gulls out over the lake.

Doug Johnson

7300 Vireo Ct. NE

Bemidji, MN 56601