[rba] Fw: [mou] Park Point 9-11 and 9-12 Western Grebe, Western Wood-pewee

David A. Cahlander david at cahlander.com
Fri Sep 12 13:12:27 CDT 2008

From: mansfieldbc
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 9:13 AM
Subject: [mou] Park Point 9-11 and 9-12 W Grebe W Wood-pewee

Among other birds Mike Resch or I encountered at Park Point:

Western Grebe PM 9-11 nearer WI side than MN side, seen in the harbor between Sky Harbor Airport parking lot and a large yellow warehouse in WI

Mike called me this morning 9-12 to report a Western Wood-Pewee in the vegetation by the boardwalk just south of the ballfields at the recreation area, first seen and heard at 7:30 AM.  This is the 'first' boardwalk by the yellow gate just south of the beachhouse, just before you curve around on the road to enter the parking lot for the airport proper.

Also first-year Great Black-backed (2) and Lesser Black-backed (1) gulls at the Superior Entry.

Interesting at 40th W impoundment last evening 9-11 were a singing Marsh Wren, two Short-billed Dowitchers, Black-bellied Plovers, Pectoral Sandpipers, and two young Bonaparte's Gulls still showing strong brown wash to their plumage.  Three Common Goldeneye were in the harbor outside the impoundment area.

My internet access continues to be restricted to short and sweet at cafes; I can most reliably be reached via cell phone at 612.281.0310 for the present.

Chris Mansfield
Duluth