[rba] [mou] Piping Plover/Brown County

Brian & Risa Smith rba at moumn.org
Sun Sep 7 18:21:00 CDT 2008

Around 4:30 p.m. I found a single Piping Plover in non-breeding plumage on the mudflat of a small farm settling pond.  The location of the farm is 1/2 mile south of the intersection of Cty. Rd. 20 and 10 (address is 13343 Cty. 10).  This is in southern Brown County, near the western end of Lake Hanska. The PIPL was loosely associating with a mixed flock of other shorebirds.  I had stopped to look at a flock of shorebirds that I had seen flying around the pond.  I first noticed the Plover after it gave it's loud two-syllable peep-lo call.  I observed it for about 15 minutes and it was still there when I left.  Key field marks were the orange legs, pale grey/tan upperparts, all black bill and eyes.  It had a single, unbroken breastband that was also grey/tan colored.  If anyone happens to stop by this location, the farmer that owns the property did stop by and ask what I was doing but he did give permission for me to stay there.

Also this afternoon there was a flock of 8 Buff-breasted Sandpipers on one of the grass berms at the Sleepy Eye sewage ponds.  Also present were 4 juvenile Red-necked Phalaropes.  Be aware that the early Goose hunting season is now open and there have been hunters out at the sewage ponds all weekend.

Good birding,

Brian Smith
Sleepy Eye