[rba] [mou] Carver County-Ruffed Grouse

John Cyrus rba at moumn.org
Fri Sep 5 22:26:14 CDT 2008

I have suspected for the past 2 years that there were Ruffed Grouse in Carver County, but had never had a definitive view.  This evening I stumbled(drove by and slammed my brakes) on 4 at the oddest location.   They were feeding in mowed grass at the edge of tall marsh grasses along Peavey Rd. in Chaska.   1 of the grouse was fanning its tail.   I have driven by this location many times and never seen them there.   Peavey Rd. is located off of Hwy 41 and the grouse were feeding along Peavey  Rd east of Peavey Cir(Chaska Environmental Center) as it curves to the north.  The industrial park is more technolgy/manufacturing oriented and doesn't produce much pollution.  It is also well treed.  I have had 2 probable sightings of Ruffed Grouse at Rapids Lake MVNWR this summer, 1 group of 5 that I flushed and a 2nd group of 6.   My mom observed a Ruffed Grouse along Bavaria Rd. in Chaska last year, but I have never been able to find one along that rd.

John Cyrus