[rba] [mou] (Fwd) great black-backed gull at the Virginia dump

Jim Lind rba at moumn.org
Sun Nov 16 07:33:33 CST 2008

From:           	"Elizabeth Copper" <ecopper at plovergroup.com>
To:             	<jslind at frontiernet.com>
Subject:        	great black-backed gull at the Virginia dump

My husband and I today (11/13) found what appeared to be a first-
cycle great black-backed gull in a flock of primarily herring gulls =

on the roof of a large building near the entrance to the Virginia =

dump. The bird was generally pale in appearance compared to a nearby =

first-cycle herring gull, was noticeably larger than the herring =

gulls, and had a very prominent all-black bill. The bird=99s head was =

very pale almost white, the coverts were very speckled in appearance =

contrasting with the black primaries. We saw the bird at =

approximately 11:00 am watched it for about 10 minutes and it was =

still sitting on the roof when we left.  The gull was not there when =

I checked the following day.

The Virginia landfill is just east of Virginia, just north of 135, =

apparently an extension of Bourgin Road.   =

Elizabeth and Robert Copper
Melrude

---
This mailing list is sponsored by the Minnesota Ornithologists' Union.  Mai=
ling list membership available on-line at http://moumn.org/subscribe.html.
-----
ct of unsubscribe.