[rba] [mou] Surf Scoter, Rice Co.

Dave Bartkey rba at moumn.org
Sat Nov 1 21:21:28 CDT 2008

Hi everyone,
  John Hockema and I spotted a single Surf Scoter on the north side of Lake Mazaska this afternoon about 4 o'clock. It was in a mixed raft of Ruddy Ducks, Lesser Scaup, Bufflehead, and a single Horned Grebe. We viewed the group from a dead end road, 143rd St. West, which goes along the north side of Mazaska off of CR 61 (Fairbanks Ave.) Lake Mazaska is in west-central Rice County. After watching it for awhile, the group lifted off the water and flew to the western side of the lake. So, it could be anywhere and there are several spots around the lake to view from.

  Other interesting birds today consisted of:
Least Sandpiper
Killdeer
Franklin's Gull
Eastern Bluebirds in several locations