[mou] Sandy Point Park (Jackson Co.) wild raptor show

Eric Harrold gentilis03 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 15 12:38:05 CDT 2008

Folks,

Had a raptor-heavy day yesterday and witnessed assassination attempts by 3 raptors, 1 Peregrine and 2 Merlins. Also saw Sharp-shinned, Cooper's, and Broad-winged Hawks. Had some Bald Eagle movement as well with 3-4 birds. Also saw what must've been a flock of migrating(?) Black-crowned Night Herons flying over fairly high (>500 ft)...couldn't tell for sure, but don't know what else they could've been. Still have shorebirds present in small numbers along the lakeshore. One Spotted Sandpiper absolutely refused to leave the sandbar when the Peregrine passed over. Being a falconer, this was the most fun I've ever had with raptors that weren't falconry birds. On the same note, a couple of years ago at Park Point in Duluth I tried to assist a Merlin chasing some unnamed avian species. Perhaps the Merlin was only playing and even if not I think its eyes were bigger than its other equipment for what was present.

Eric Harrold
Lakefield, MN