[mou] Y-C night-heron--no luck

Diana Doyle diana at managingthewaterway.com
Fri Sep 5 16:12:54 CDT 2008

I looked for the juv. yellow-crowned night-heron both yesterday eve
and this am and no luck. Many black-crowneds though.

I hate seeing an unusual bird only once briefly, esp. when it comes
as a surprise. I realized that I did a stupid thing: all my field
marks were relative: i.e, "smaller white triangle marks," "darker,"
"smaller overall"--I didn't think quickly enough to confirm a
completely dark bill. And to top off my stupidity (hey, it was early
on a dark cold morning) I didn't take a quick digital pic with my new
cell phone.

So since my own field notes wouldn't satisfy the MOU threshold for
reporting and accepting it, I'm going to hold off "counting" it for
myself. (Some of you know that I'm doing a green birding challenge
this year.)

I'll keep looking, hoping to clinch my confidence on the ID. And if
anyone else sees it, I'd appreciate a heads up!

Thanks!

Diana Doyle
S. Mpls