[mou] School field trip produces ID difficulty

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Fri Sep 5 12:37:08 CDT 2008

While leading a third-sixth grade birding field trip in the Sherburne refuge this morning, had an usual moth or butterfly present itself.

My task was to gather the kids around and establish a reasonable perimeter - of course it left while doing so - but I noted it's large size (4-5 inches), completely dark wings, and an elongated swallow-tailed appearance (quite chewed up, however).

Scanning my few materials while in the field produced no matches.  Thoughts?  Would love to share the information with the classes.

The kids thoroughly enjoyed Trumpeter Swans, Bald Eagles, Sandhill Cranes and other large birds - were far less interested in flycatchers and warblers.

Thanks!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties