[mou] A response to the post of Bernard P. Friel

Bernard P. Friel wampy at att.net
Mon Oct 6 12:49:47 CDT 2008

Ladies and Gentlemen,
     The purpose of my post was to point out that the the  message, in which
the recommendation of the Board of the MOU was contained, could only be
interpreted as designed to stifle any discussion on the pros and cons of the
Constitutional Amendment which was the subject of the Board recommendation.
     I don¹t question the authority of the Board to support passage of the
Amendment or their recommendation to the membership, only their attempt to
discourage hearing other points of view.
     While I have a strong interest in preserving habitat and in many of the
other objectives of the proposed amendment, and I have no objection to
paylng additional taxes for such purposes, I have a stronger interest in not
solving the state¹s budget issues with Constitutional amendments.
     I spent a considerable part of my professional life working with
Constitutional and legislative issues and that is simply bad public policy,
for it will lock up a revenue stream in this case until at least 2034.
Furthermore there is no assurance that that revenue stream will be allocated
among the competing interests in a fashion which will satisfy any particular
one of those competing interests.
     I should have thought we would have learned a lesson from the bad
policies we set with the racetrack and the lottery Constitutional
amendments, but time and again self interest blinds clear vision and common
sense, and we do seem to have difficulty learning from history.
     While there is much to be said on both sides of this question there was
a good discussion of the pros and cons in the ³Opinion Exchange² of the Star
Tribune which I would recommend reading.

Bernie Friel

--
Bernard P. Friel
Web Pages - http://www.wampy.com  ;