[mou] Summer Ornithology Class

Jackie Nooker jnooker at live.com
Fri Oct 3 11:28:59 CDT 2008

Hello everyone,

Ever wonder what the difference was between Ornithology and birding?  Want to know how ornithologists get information on survival and movements of birds?  Want to improve your skills in 'birding-by-ear' and taking field notes?  Try taking a summer Ornithology class (study of birds)!!

The course will focus around a central project where the class will survey birds in different habitats using point counts and bird banding.  Lectures will cover migration, bird behavior, reproduction, and other topics.  Supplemental laboratory exercises will examine mobbing behavior, the anatomy of birds, and other topics.  It will be held either for 3 weeks in May or 4 weeks in June at Southwest Minnesota State University this summer.  You can expect to attend class 3 hours a day and spend 75% of your time outside.  This course is great for retired people who want to learn more about the birds in Minnesota or for advanced high school or college students who want to get ahead in their biology degree.  In order to get approval to teach this class, I first have to drum up some support. If you or someone you know has the slightest interest in taking this class, please let me know, so I can let the powers-that-be know that there is interest in such a course.

Thanks!
-Dr. Jackie Augustine
Assistant Professor
Southwest Minnesota State University