[mou] Pine Grosbeak in northern St Louis County

Dee Kuder dkuder at citlink.net
Mon Mar 31 09:15:33 CDT 2008

Today, Monday, March 31, 2008 there was a lone female Pine Grosbeak in the
yard. Most of these birds had left by March 15th. Also saw one Pine Grosbeak
last Friday along with a very probable Hoary Redpoll. (the Hoary Redpoll had
only two streaks on his flanks - the rump and vent area were completely
white - he had a wash of red on the breast - not as vivid as the Common
Redpolls). They were mixed in with a flock of Common Redpolls. There are
many Common Redpolls here now.

Briefly on Saturday morning a Robin showed up. And on Sunday I saw two Gulls
- these birds along with the crows are the only migrants that have shown up
so far.

It is still very much winter up here - lakes and rivers are locked in ice.

Also, last Thursday I observed a Red Crossbill on the road. He was very
interested in a crack in the asphalt. I watched him with my binoculars for a
little while - by the way he was tilting his head it looked like he was
sharpening his beak on the ragged edge of the tar.

Dee Kuder

Crane Lake