[mou] Lesser Black-backed Gull in Olmsted

Bob Ekblad ekblad at frontiernet.net
Thu Mar 27 15:17:57 CDT 2008

I located an adult Lesser Black-backed Gull at the South Landfill Reservoir
in Olmsted County shortly after 1pm today (3/27).  It was with a flock of
resting gulls that numbered approximately 200 with the majority being
Ring-billed but with quite a few Herring Gulls mixed in as well.  The bird
was standing on the ice next to the open water for most of the time but did
fly a few times only to come back to the same general area most of the
times.  At first it was near the north shore but later it moved to the south
shore where the sun helped to show the very yellow legs (viewed from the
south side of the reservoir).  Chuck Krulas, Jeff Stephenson and Lance
Vrieze were also able to see the bird.

Unfortunately, at 2:40 pm the bird lifted off with most of the other gulls
and drifted high and headed north.  I am hoping they might come back but
suspect they will continue their northerly migration.  I will certainly
inform everyone if the bird is refound.  In the meantime, folks may want to
check out Byllesby to see if it might end up in that area.

For those of you who don't know where the reservoir is located, it is west
of Rochester a short distance north of Hwy 14.  I have it marked on my web
site at http://www.birding-minnesota.com/BOC-NW.htm#Landfill

Bob Ekblad
Olmsted County in Southeast Minnesota
ekblad at frontiernet.net