[mou] south central waterfowl

Chad Heins odunamis at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 20 09:30:41 CDT 2008

Hey birders!

We don't have much open water around the Mankato area, especially once you're away from the Minnesota River.  Undaunted, I decided to check out the Lake Crystal lakes south of Mankato which are just starting to open up.  On Monday there were two Greater White-fronted Geese mixed in with the Canadas along with Mallard, Gadwall,  and Common Mergansers. I also saw a Turkey Vulture in Mankato.

This morning's list:

Canada Goose
Cackling Goose
Wood Duck
Mallard
Northern Pintail
American Wigeon
Gadwall
Lesser Scaup
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Redhead
Canvasback
Bufflehead
Common Goldeneye
Common Merganser
Red-breasted Merganser
Hooded Merganser
Ruddy Duck
American Coot
Ring-billed Gull

There was probably only about 150 birds total but I wasn't going to complain.  I also went looking for the Townsend's Solitaire at Minneopa State Park.  I did not find it but did find Sharp-shinned Hawk, Purple Finch, and had a Rusty Blackbird fly over.  I also saw a Red-shouldered Hawk at the junction of Hwy 68 and Hwy 169/60.

Since the Ring-billed Gull is the true harbinger around Mankato...

Happy Spring!

Chad Heins
Mankato, MN