[mou] Aitkin & Sax-Zim Trip

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Sun Jan 6 07:47:24 CST 2008

Nathan and I birded portions of Aitkin County and Sax-Zim yesterday,
enjoying:

* Sharp-tailed Grouse south of Tamarac (including two in a tree alongside
Aitkin 16)

* Great Gray Owl, Nichols Lake Road, .5 mile east of St. Louis 7

* Hoary Redpoll, St. Louis 211 feeders (directions previously posted)

* Black-billed Magpies, St. Louis 219 (about a mile north of 133)

Pine Grosbeaks, Snow Buntings and Common Ravens (at least 29 on the day)
were everywhere.  Conversely, we missed Snowy Owl - Three-toed and
Black-backed Woodpeckers (despite working three locations with extensive
flaking - Aitkin 27, 211 & McDavitt roads - however, we did not hike in due
to snow depths) - Evening Grosbeaks (did not come into the 211 feeders
during the half hour we were there) - and Northern Hawk Owl (checked area
north of Sax Road).  Did have two MOU weekend/Kim Eckert sightings in the
afternoon (bonus points?).

Thank you to all who shared their sightings electronically.  Good birding!

Al & Nathan Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties