[mou] Sherburne to Aitkin Big Day, 22 warbler species.

Pastor Al Schirmacher pastoral at princetonfreechurch.net
Sun Aug 31 08:42:47 CDT 2008

After viewing the White-tailed Kite in Ortonville on Friday morning (Nate
has details from three observations, I was wrestling with the car & only
viewed for ~15 seconds), we were towed back and changed our Saturday
northwestern MN birding plans (my apologies, Jeanie) to a relaxed area Big
Day on Saturday.  We covered Sherburne NWR, Princeton Sewage Ponds, Foley
Sewage Ponds, Milaca Sewage Ponds, Mille Lacs Lake, Aitkin CR 15, Aitkin CR
18 & 5, and Palisade.

We saw and/or heard 120 species, including 22 warblers (good movement on
Sherburne's Blue Hill Trail & Aitkin CR 18).  However, we only found 9
shorebird and 7 sparrow species, despite visiting four potential shorebird
locations.  Notable misses included Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting,
Common Tern, Solitary Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe, Eastern Meadowlark,
Clay-colored and White-throated Sparrow - lack of song hurt the effort.

We extend much respect to the team that owns the August MOU record (134
species, I believe) and also to Peder's single person August ABA record -
which I believe was in one county (148?).

Good birding to all!

Al & Nate Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties