[mou] odd shorebird

dan&erika danerika at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 12:27:53 CDT 2008

Hi All--Yesterday, 29 Aug, Erika and I drove down to the River Bend Nature
Center in Faribault, Rice Co., to check out the Stilt Sandpiper.  I took
photographs and got around to "developing" them late morning the next day
(today),

What do you make of this photo?
http://www.northern.edu/tallmand/dat/misc/stiltmystery.jpg
At the time I thought I was taking a photo of one of a few Stilt Sandpipers
on the pond.  But the bill looks way too short for a Stilt Sandpiper.  The
base of the bill is also an odd pink color.  The bird is vaguely colored
like a Ruff, but the breast is not plain like a Ruff.

A second photo shows what may be the mystery bird behind an obvious Stilt
Sandpiper.
http://www.northern.edu/tallmand/dat/misc/stiltmystery2.jpg
Note the much more obvious eyeline on the Stilt Sandpiper and its grayer
coloration.  Is the mystery sandpiper just an immature Stilt Sandpiper?

I will be interested to hear any and all opinions.

dan

--
Dan or Erika Tallman
Northfield, Minnesota
danerika at gmail.com

".... the best shod travel with wet feet"
"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes ...."--Thoreau