[mou] Kite searching

James Mattsson mattjim at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 28 20:57:27 CDT 2008

For what it's worth, Brian Smith tried unsuccessfully to find the STKI twice in the P.M.  He succeeded early this morning along with our group. Considering that the kite has been seen with regularity early in the morning, I would suggest searching at that time rather than later in the day. Today it fed very actively and successfully, so it probably spends the latter hours resting. The Watonwan River valley is immediately south of where the bird has been sighted and no doubt is an important reason for the bird's presence in this area as STKI is a bottomland forest wetland species. Search all dead snags/tree tops on either side of Hi 60 between Hi 15 and the river to the south. Good luck and watch out for traffic.

James Mattsson
mattjim at earthlink.net
EarthLink Revolves Around You.