[mou] Miesville Ravine

Steve Weston sweston2 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 26 01:57:19 CDT 2008

Sunday we (five participants besides me) spent a near perfect day birding in
the ravaged remains of Miesville Ravine for our annual MRVAC field trip.
Trails have been almost completely reopenned after a devasting storm in
July. However, side trails were everywhere blocked. Storm damage appeared to
be consistant with a tornado, as many trees had been twisted until they
snapped.  I saw one tree that had snapped about twelve feet high, stripping
the remaining truck bare of bark. Some areas were mowed down, while a few
yards away, trees appeared untouched.

Despite the devastation, birding was fairly active.  Thirty-eight species
were counted, including eight species of warblers (Blue-winged,
Blackburnian, Black and White, Redstarts, Ovenbirds, No. Waterthrush,
Canada, and Mourning) plus a Brewsters (hybrid Blue-winged x Golden-winged).
This was found near where we found one in June, but was a different
individual.  More notable than the birds found were the noticible absence of
expected birds: cuckoos, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Eastern
Towhee, and Scarlet Tanagers.   At the meadow, canary reed grass had mostly
choked out the jewelweed, and banished the hummingbirds.   On the way down
from Miesville town, after coming out of the woods, I had a quick, but
convincing look at a Western Kingbird.

Also, we found two to four Giant Swallowtails, mostly in Goodhue County. and
an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail.

sweston2 at comcast.net