[mou] Shorebirds -- Corps of Engineers pool levels

Doug Buri dougburi at tnics.com
Mon Aug 18 10:19:57 CDT 2008

There are a couple of resources on the internet that are useful for finding suitable shorebird habitat in Corps of Engineers controlled pools / waterways.

www.rivergages.com will give information for the entire US.

For example, East Pool at Big Stone NWR the "magic" number is 948' MSL. At this pool elevation and lower we start to get good mud flats that attract shorebirds -- anything above that and it's pretty much a "duck" pond. Information is automatically updated very frequently so we can get a timely indication of how productive the refuge will be for shorebirding.

The site for East Pool at Big Stone NWR is:

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/shefgraph-wotem2.cfm?sid=ODAM5&d=14&dt=E  Right now we are at 948.25 MSL and going down so it's just a bit high but getting there.

Note: There are only about a half dozen spaces left for the sparrow workshop that Bob Janssen and I are hosting October 3-5. If you are interested in joining us for that please contact me.

www.itctel.com/buri/SPARROW

Regards,
Doug Buri
Milbank, SD