[mou] Carver County-Prothonotary Warblers

John Cyrus cyrus150 at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 16 11:28:03 CDT 2008

There were 6 Prothonotary Warblers at the Rapids Lake Unit of MVNWR at 2 locations.   There were 2 close to the area I found one back in May on the northwest side of Rapids Lake.  There were 4 feeding and interacting along the trail that follows north along the Minnesota River from the visitors center.  The 4 were not that far from the east shore of Rapids Lake.  I have not seen them in that area the last 3 times I walked that trail.

Also, I spoke too soon about not seeing many vireos.   I saw at least 7 Yellow-throated Vireos at 3 locations and heard 2 at a 4th location.   I also saw 4 Red-eyed Vireo and 2 Warbling.  Sparrows have quieted versus 2 weeks ago.   Only Song and Field Sparrows were singing.  Besides many Yellowthroat, quite a few Redstart, and 2 Yellow Warbler there were 2 migrating warblers, 1 Tennessee Warbler and 1 Nashville Warbler.  Based on my observations from the last 2 summers, fall songbird migration is a bit slower this year.   I wonder if that is due to the drawn out spring migration this year.

The Chevalle neighborhood wetlands in Chaska turned up a few shorebirds this morning.   There were 2 Spotted, 1 Solitary, 1 Pectoral Sandpiper, 1 Greater Yellowlegs, Kildeer, and a few peeps that would not stop in one location flying back and forth.

The Purgatory Creek wetlands were disappointing the 2 times I went this past week.  Despite the greatly increased area of mudflats, I didn't see that many shorebirds.   What I did see was usually seen only in groups of 1-5. Shorebirds seen this week were: Kildeer, Least Sandpiper, Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper, Stilt Sandpiper, and Wilson's Phalarope.

John