[mou] Why did the Loon cross the road?/Otter Tail Co

Dan & Sandy Thimgan thimgan at digitaljam.com
Thu Aug 14 14:39:18 CDT 2008

Our neighbors, Lenny and Eileen, experienced one of those special
Wild Kingdom moments this morning.  Lenny -- a serious yard guy --
was mowing a strip of lawn along the road directly across from his
lake home when he noticed some flapping and flopping in the flooded,
reed-filled ditch.  Possibly an injured bird, he thought?  No, it was
a young loon (who, of course, are not well-designed for walking)
attempting to struggle out of the ditch with intentions of crossing
the road.  This raises that age-old question: Why did the loon cross
the road? In this case, apparently to leave the smaller body of water
where it had hatched (Unnamed Lake 56-305), to enter a different and
much larger body of water (Silver Lake).

Lenny ran back to the house, called his wife, and together they
scooped up the uncomplaining bird in a blanket and transported it
about another 50 yards to the lake.  According to them, the bird gave
one short hoot, and nonchalantly swam away.

This young bird was clearly one of the two loon chicks who were first
observed and recorded on June 16. We had heard “our” local loons
calling repeatedly the last couple of days, so this must have been
communication/encouragement for this youngster.

We estimated the young loon pulled/flopped/struggled for at least a
quarter of a mile from the now water-lily-choked environmental lake
of its birth through a marshy area now completely filled with 8-10
foot-high cattails.

Another neighbor had a similar experience just down the road about
ten years ago, when she and her father helped a pair of loon chicks
cross the same road.  Anyone seen a Loon Xing sign? Apparently we
need one for South Silver Lake Road.

Lenny and Eileen told us they would be out of town this weekend, and
we have been named designated watchers in case the second young loon
puts in an appearance.

Dan & Sandy Thimgan

--
Thimgans