[mou] Louisville Swamp shorebird area directions?

CRAIG MANDEL EgretCMan at msn.com
Mon Aug 11 21:54:33 CDT 2008

8/11/2008

While I have been unable to get back out to the Louisville Swamp Unit, since
my walk there on the 2nd  I would guess that the area should still be good
for shorebirds unless we get a lot of rain.  With my work schedule and
traveling since the 2nd, this has been my first chance to spend any time
catching up on emails.  So sorry for any delay on getting out some info on
this location.

To reach the Louisville Swamp Unit, take Highway 169 South from the Twin
Cities and past the intersection with Highway 41 and South of Shakopee.
Continue about another mile and 1/2 to 145th Street West.  Turn Right and
follow this to past the entrance to the Renaissance Festival grounds and
turn left near the end of the road.  There is a large parking area here.  To
get to the shorebird location take the trail that starts at the North end of
the parking lot ( closest to the entrance).  Follow this trail until it
crosses over Sand Creek at a large rock and gravel spillway.  There were mud
flats on both sides of the trail on the 2nd, but the area to the East had
the larger number of shorebirds.  I would guess that it is about a 35 or 40
minute walk to reach this location and that does not include any time spent
stopping to bird on the way out.

There are pretty good trail maps and other information on the Refuges web
page, which can be found with a search for Minnesota Valley National
Wildlife Refuge.

Good luck for anyone who has the time to bird there and sorry for the delay
in my responses about the location, Craig

Craig Mandel, Minnetonka, MN
EgretCMan at msn.com