[mou] ID Help: Dodge Co.

Ken or Rebecca Vail krvail at myclearwave.net
Mon Aug 4 21:54:25 CDT 2008

I consider myself a competent birder and do not often admit to being
stumped.  But this bird really has me baffled.

This bird is visiting our bird feeder.  I first noticed the bird two days
ago but only noted its most prominent field mark a long dark tail bordered
on the sides with white before it disappeared.  On August 4, 2008 my wife,
Rebecca, managed to get a few digital photos through the window of this
bird.  I have also taken some film photos (not yet developed) of the bird
and will supply if desired.

breast, breast heavily streaked, conical grosbeak-like bill, a circular
white wing patch.  It's most notable field mark is a long dark tail with
white borders (a long junco-like tail).

Behavior:  Eats the sunflower seed and forages in a shuffle-feet fashion
typical of towhees and other emberizids.

I attempted to upload a photo to the MOU website but was unable to do so.
If you would like photos please contact me off-list and I will email them to
you.

I live in SW Dodge County and will supply detailed directions if this bird
is determined to be of interest.

Ken Vail
Blooming Prairie