[mou] FW: New Red Wing Circle CBC

Laura Coble shearwater45 at frontiernet.net
Mon Dec 24 11:22:16 CST 2007

  _____

From: Laura Coble [mailto:shearwater45 at frontiernet.net]
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2007 11:21 AM
To: 'mnbird at lists.mnbird.net'
Subject: New Red Wing Circle CBC

On Saturday, 12/22/07, a team of 17 birders restored the Red Wing Christmas
Bird Count, last covered in 1973.

Despite dangerous icy weather in many parts of  southeastern MN, plus other
unexpected events which kept 8 of the enthusiastic volunteers at home, the
remaining birders found 45 species (now possibly 46) in this area: Red Wing;
south, east and southeast of Red Wing, including a part of Wabasha County;
Frontenac State Park and south of the park; and a small area of Wisconsin,
across the Mississippi River.

The birding weather for Red Wing and the circle turned out to be fine until
the middle of the pm, when it became much colder, and the wind picked up.
There were some icy roads in the southern area.The highest Red Wing CBC
report between 1905 and 1973 was 49. These volunteers are some of the best
in Minnesota, personally and as birders. They quickly took over the extra
group area divisions which needed to be covered. There were at least five
other volunteers and several employees who work with MN Audubon, National
Audubon, and Goodhue County, who were essential to this count restoration.

Some of the highlights or interesting sightings:

2 Tufted Titmice (at two separate feeders; one of the feeders normally has
2)
2 Brown Creepers
8 Gray Partridges
14  Rough-legged Hawks
49 Pine Siskins
10 Snow Buntings
1 Belted Kingfisher
4 Ruffed Grouse
96 American Robins
60 Red-winged Blackbirds

The complete count will be posted on the MN Audubon and National Audubon
websites. If you would like to see our new circle maps which were made by
Goodhue County, please e-mail me. If you're interested in one of the bird
locations, I'll get you the information. We are all looking forward to next
year, and hope some of you may want to join our team!

Laura Coble
Cannon Falls, MN
Goodhue County