[mou] Snowy Owl Duluth (Hermantown) and a warning

sparky stensaas sparkystensaas at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 23 00:24:07 CST 2007

On Monday the 17th I saw a probable Snowy Owl fly over MN53 (just N. of Stebner Rd. in Hermantown) in the predawn darkness. It was heading towards the Federal Correctional Facility. I was on my way to the Sax-Zim CBC so didn't have time to search for it.

But I finally had a chance to look for it today (Sat. Dec 22) and found a Snowy Owl behind the Natural Resources Research Institute (intersection of MN 53 and Airport Road) at dusk/dark (5pm). It flew to a nearby power pole and continued hunting eventually flying off toward the Correctional Facility or Cirrus Designs...or the airport?? This Airport Road loops back to MN53 at Stebner Road.

It is a heavily marked bird with much dark banding on the tail...Most definitely a female.

WARNING: This is not a good place to be stopping and scanning for birds. I was nearly arrested in this area a few years ago when photographing a male Snowy between the prison and the airport. Three prison security trucks, an Airport Authority vehicle, the Hermantown K-9 unit and a St. Louis County Sheriff converged on me. Thank goodness for digital cameras as I was able to show them that I was really photographing owls and not other "sensitive targets." I was told to go shoot owls elsewhere as "there are owls all over the place."

Sparky Stensaas
2515 Garthus Road
Wrenshall, MN 55797
218.341.3350 cell
sparkystensaas at hotmail.com

The best games are on Xbox 360.  Click here for a special offer on an Xbox 360 Console.