[mou] St. Paul (North) CBC Results

Julian Sellers JulianSellers at msn.com
Thu Dec 20 21:20:52 CST 2007

The St. Paul CBC on 12/15 found 55 species, down from our record of 62 last year but within the range of the last 10 years.  There were no real rarities, but good finds included Northern Harrier and Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  A surprising number was the total of only three gulls--two ring-billed and one herring.

The center of our circle is the intersection of County Road B and Dale Street, in Roseville.  The circle extends from northern North Oaks on the north to parts of Minnehaha, Hidden Falls, and Crosby Parks and Pig's Eye Lake on the south, and from east of Century Avenue on the east to downtown Minneapolis on the west.  So it's very much an urban and first-ring suburban count.

We always have open water at a few places on the Mississippi and at the outflow of the Pig's Eye wastewater treatment plant (where 18 of our 19 Great Blue Herons and 10 species of waterfowl were present).  In the Mallard competition, we didn't do very well:  5,488.

Julian