[mou] Texas MBW & 2008 schedule

Eckert K R eckertkr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 15:10:18 CST 2007

The annual Minnesota Birding Weekends trip to South Texas (our 22nd)
will take place February 2-10, 2008, and after a recent cancellation
there is now one vacancy. If you think you'd be interested in birding
for a week in February where the temperatures will be in the 70s rather
than the 20s, additional information about the trip can be found on the
MOU website (http://moumn.org/trips.html), or feel free to contact me
at eckertkr at gmail.com for the details about the cost, itinerary,
expected species, etc.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now that the January-February issue of the MOU newsletter with the
2008-09 Minnesota Birding Weekends schedule has been mailed, I am now
accepting registrations for next season's MBWs, and the schedule of
trips for our 23rd year appears below. You'll find additional MBW
information (including the registration procedure and a form) on the
MOU website (http://moumn.org/trips.html), on Bob Ekblad's website
(http://www.birding-minnesota.com/MN-MBW.htm), and in the current issue
of the MOU's newsletter, Minnesota Birding.

Note that some MBWs fill up several weeks or even months in advance, so
please don't hesitate to register if there's a trip you're particularly
interested in.

Also a reminder that, as of 2007, Minnesota Birding Weekends are part
of the MOU field trips schedule, and the MOU has other field trips
coordinated by Field Trips Chairman Bob Williams
(bxwilliams at cbburnet.com). The schedule of these trips appears along
with MBWs on the MOU website (http://moumn.org/trips.html).

Please be sure to contact me if you have any questions.

Kim Eckert
1921 W Kent Rd
Duluth MN 55812
(218) 525-6930
eckertkr at gmail.com

• March 29-30 / Nobles and Jackson Counties / $35
For those anxious for the arrival of spring, there is no better place
than the southwestern corner of the state. We could see thousands of
waterfowl, with probably Ross's and white-fronted geese among them;
hawks, sparrows, longspurs, and blackbirds should also be on their way
north; and we’ll hope for a stray Prairie Falcon, a juniper-roosting
Long-eared or N. Saw-whet owl, and Mountain Bluebirds. (Base
Worthington)

• April 26-27 / Polk County / $40
• pre-Weekend option / April 25 / Norman County (additional grasslands
and wetlands; Base Ada) / $30 *
The grassland tracts near Crookston are perhaps the best places in the
state to see both Sharp-tailed Grouse and Greater Prairie-Chickens
displaying, often side-by-side. Other birds to see in this area's many
wetlands, fields, and aspens include lots of waterfowl, Sandhill
Cranes, and Black-billed Magpies. There is always a chance of a rarity
or two, like a California Gull, Short-eared Owl, or Smith's Longspur.
(Base Crookston)

• May 3-4 / Stearns, Douglas, and Grant Counties / $40
• pre-Weekend option / May 2 / Sherburne County (Sherburne NWR and
vicinity; Base Elk River) / $30 *
These counties are best known for their many herons and egrets at the
Pelican Lake rookery, and for the Red-necked and Western (and Clark's?)
grebe colonies at Lake Osakis. We will look for rarer waders like Snowy
and Cattle egrets and Little Blue Heron, and for shorebirds at this
area's many sewage ponds. These counties’ woodlands should also have
some early warblers and other spring migrants. (Base Sauk Centre)

• May 24-25-26 / Southeastern Minnesota / $70
The specialties of this corner of the state have long been attractive
to birders: e.g., Common Moorhen, Acadian Flycatcher, Tufted Titmouse,
Bell's Vireo, Blue-winged, Prothonotary and Cerulean warblers,
Louisiana Waterthrush, and Henslow's Sparrow. We will also look for
Least Bittern, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Willow Flycatcher, Orchard Oriole
(and, of course, strays from the Southeast U.S.) at places like Beaver
Creek Valley, Reno, La Crescent, Whitewater WMA, and Weaver Dunes SNA.
(Base La Crosse, WI)

• May 31-June 1 / Aitkin County and Yellow Rails / $30
The Yellow Rail is easily heard and (with flashlight, boots, and
patience!) even possible to see in the famed McGregor Marsh. Also
possible on this Saturday evening - Sunday noon Weekend are
Sharp-tailed Grouse, Great Gray Owl, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Boreal
Chickadee, possibly 20 warbler species (especially Golden-winged, Cape
May, and Connecticut), and Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow. (Base
McGregor)

• June 14-15 / Pine County / $45 (Leader Craig Mandel)
• pre-Weekend option / June 13 / Chisago County (St. Croix River
woodlands; Base North Branch) / $30 *
Our first Weekend ever in the county where South meets North. Along the
St. Croix River, southern birds like cuckoos, Willow Flycatcher,
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, Louisiana Waterthrush, and Eastern Towhee can
all occur; while up in the Nemadji State Forest, there are Sharp-tailed
Grouse, Black-backed Woodpecker, Alder Flycatcher, Gray Jay, Canada and
many other warblers, and Le Conte’s Sparrow. (Base Hinckley)

• June 28-29 / Koochiching County / $45 (Leader Craig Mandel)
• pre-Weekend option / June 27 / Itasca County (additional boreal
forests; Base Grand Rapids) / $30 *
Probably no other county in the state has as much potential and mystery
as this one. This Weekend will be only our third ever in these numerous
bogs and vast coniferous forests, where some possibilities are Spruce
Grouse, Black-backed (and Am. Three-toed?) Woodpecker, Yellow-bellied
and other flycatchers, Boreal Chickadee, as many as 23 nesting warblers
(including Connecticut), and crossbills. (Base Northome)

• August 9-10 / Stevens, Traverse, and Big Stone Counties / $40
• pre-Weekend option / August 8 / Pope County (woodlands, additional
wetlands; Base Glenwood) / $30 *
Traverse County has both excellent wetlands (especially Mud Lake) and
remnant prairie grasslands, with Clark's Grebe, White-faced Ibis, and
Henslow’s and Le Conte’s sparrows all occurring in recent summers.
There are also good wetlands (and sewage ponds) in Big Stone County,
and this is the peak time and best part of the state for seeing
shorebirds and studying their ID. (Base Morris)

• August 30-31-September 1 / Northwestern Minnesota / $65
Our sixth Labor Day Weekend in this corner of the state will include
Agassiz NWR, Thief Lake and other remote WMAs, Lake of the Woods, plus
lesser-known areas as far as Kittson County. With little birding here
in fall, the possibilities are many and unpredictable. Past Weekends
here have averaged 150+ species, highlighted by 20 species each of
shorebirds and warblers, and rarities like Prairie Falcon, Red Knot,
Long-tailed Jaeger, 110 magpies in a single flock, and Nelson's
Sharp-tailed Sparrow. (Base Thief River Falls)

• September 13-14 / Minnesota River Valley / $35
This forested "oasis" and migration corridor still remains as one of
the most under-appreciated areas in the state. If the weather
cooperates, we might well see the peak fall movement of warblers and
other migrant woods birds; rocky outcrops, grasslands, and juniper
groves invite western strays from the Dakotas; and nearby wetlands
should yield a good variety of shorebirds and other water birds. (Base
Redwood Falls)

• September 27 / Duluth I  / $25	• September 28 / Duluth II  / $25
Join us for either or both of these one-day trips around Duluth and
vicinity, as we scour Lake Superior, Park Point, and the North Shore
from Stoney Point to Two Harbors for fall migrants of all kinds. Recent
Septembers at Park Point have seen records of Red Phalarope, all three
jaegers, California, Sabine's and Little gulls, Arctic Tern, and
passerines like Say’s Phoebe and Scissor-tailed Flycatcher. (Base
Duluth)

• October 17-18-19 / Leech Lake, Lake Winnie, and Mille Lacs / $190
(meals and lodging included)
The fall counts of loons and gulls on these lakes have long been
impressive, as is the list of recent rarities: e.g., Harlequin and
Long-tailed ducks, all three scoters, Yellow-billed (twice),
Red-throated and Pacific loons, and Little, Sabine's, California and
even Mew gulls. A boat trip to Pelican Island (Elegant Tern here in
2007!) on Leech Lake will even be offered, all lodging and meals will
be at Deep Portage Conservation Reserve near Hackensack, and the fee
covers 3 nights lodging and 7 meals (Fri. breakfast - Sun. breakfast).

• November 1-2 / North Shore / $35
• pre-Weekend option / October 31 / Duluth (sites not done Nov. 1-2:
Park Point, Hawk Ridge, etc.) / $20 *
Brant, King Eider, Yellow-billed Loon, Purple Sandpiper, Black-legged
Kittiwake, Ancient Murrelet, Anna's Hummingbird, Ash-throated
Flycatcher, Fieldfare, Sage Thrasher: all recent North Shore records in
November! More likely on this popular trip are Long-tailed Duck, all
three scoters, Pacific Loon, Thayer’s Gull, Townsend's Solitaire,
Bohemian Waxwing, winter finches, and more. (Base Duluth & Grand
Marais)

• January 10-11, 2009 / Duluth III  / $35
Little wonder this Weekend is such an annual tradition, with
Sharp-tailed Grouse, Great Gray, Snowy and
N. Hawk owls, Black-backed Woodpecker, Northern Shrike, Boreal
Chickadee, Bohemian Waxwing, and winter finches all among the
specialties. Also, some not unexpected rarities have included Harlequin
Duck, Spruce Grouse, Gyrfalcon, Am. Three-toed Woodpecker, Varied
Thrush, and many others. (Base Duluth)

• January 17 - 25, 2009 / CALIFORNIA & ARIZONA / $100 deposit
(Co-Leader Craig Mandel)
This Birding Week, our fourth in California, moves to January with
Arizona (and balmy highs in the mid-60s) added to the itinerary!
Coastal and montane habitats near San Diego, the Salton Sea, the Yuma
and Phoenix areas of Arizona, and canyons and grasslands near Tucson
will combine to produce well over 200 species. Among these: Brant,
Eurasian Wigeon, Gambel's Quail, Black-vented Shearwater, numerous
shorebirds and gulls (including Mountain Plover and Yellow-footed
Gull), Ruddy Ground-Dove, Whiskered and Western screech-owls,
Magnificent and Costa's hummingbirds, several woodpeckers (Lewis's,
Acorn, Gila, Nuttall's, Arizona, and Gilded Flicker), Hammond's and
Gray flycatchers, Hutton's Vireo, Mexican Jay, Bridled, Oak, and
Juniper titmouse, Pygmy Nuthatch, Canyon Wren, California Gnatcatcher,
Western Bluebird, Wrentit, Bendire's, California, Crissal, and Le
Conte's thrashers, Phainopepla, Townsend's Warbler, Painted Redstart,
towhees (Green-tailed, Canyon, California and Abert's) many sparrows
(Sage, Rufous-winged, Rufous-crowned, Brewer's, and Yellow-eyed Junco),
and much more. Information on the itinerary, lodging, and costs (about
$1,000 double-occupancy + air fare + meals) will be sent in October.

• February 7 - 15, 2009 / SOUTH TEXAS / $100 deposit
During this Birding Week, our 22nd to the lower Rio Grande Valley, we
can expect a long list of birds not found in Minnesota, many which
occur nowhere else in the U.S. – including Black-bellied
Whistling-Duck, Muscovy Duck, Plain Chachalaca, Least Grebe, Neotropic
Cormorant, Hook-billed Kite, White-tailed Hawk, Whooping Crane,
Red-billed Pigeon, White-tipped Dove, Green Parakeet, Red-crowned
Parrot, Groove-billed Ani, Ferruginous Pygmy-Owl, Common Pauraque,
Buff-bellied Hummingbird, Ringed and Green kingfishers, Northern
Beardless-Tyrannulet, Great Kiskadee, Tropical and Couch's kingbirds,
Green and Brown jays, Cave Swallow, Black-crested Titmouse,
Clay-colored Robin, Tropical Parula, White-collared Seedeater, Olive
Sparrow, Altamira and Audubon's orioles, and more. Mexican rarities are
also seen each winter: e. g., in 2005 alone, we saw Roadside Hawk,
Common Black-Hawk, Elegant Trogan, White-throated Robin, Gray-crowned
Yellowthroat, and Crimson-collared Grosbeak! Information will be sent
in November about the itinerary, lodging, cost (last year about $750
double-occupancy + air fare + meals), and weather: normal highs are in
the low 70s – some 50 degrees warmer than in Minneapolis.

* NOTE: The Friday-only, pre-Weekend options may either be taken
separately or in combination with the corresponding two-day Weekends in
adjacent counties.